Monday, April 18, 2011

Tomorrow is the Day!

Background story- One sunny day back in the summer of 1986... (I know it sounds like the beginning of a song, but it's not)... my dad announced at the dinner table that he would be purchasing a 1930 Model A Ford sedan. The goal would be to assemble and drive a family hot rod. Well, needless to say it sounded great to all of us... including the matriarch of the family, who as a side note thinks Model A's are cute.

Fastforward to 1987- A lot of work was completed that first year, at least as far as the disassembly and sale of unwanted parts was concerned. Unfortunately for the little Model A, my 1968 Pontiac Le Mans was absorbing money and quite a bit of my dads time, so on the back burner she went.

Fastforward... yet again to 1988- My dad and I convinced my little brother that his first car should be a 1956 Chevy. Actually, we twisted Eric's arm... after all he was holding out for a 55, which at that time was his favorite of the three years of classic Chevy. The bottom line was (at least in the eyes of the A) an intruder had pushed its way into our family and once again she was shoved aside.

For the last twenty-some years projects have come and gone, all the while the little Model A sat and waited for the day she would receive the attention she deserved. Ah yes... always the bridesmaid but never the bride.

All of that ends tomorrow!

Yes folks!... the day that I have been waiting for... for twenty five years arrives in mere hours.

Tomorrw the Model A will be hauled off from our shop to Whitt's Street Rods for paint! Purple is the choice of color and I can hardly wait to see the finished results. Eric mentioned that it will definitely be cause for a family celebration once completed and I must say that I completely agree.

Anyhow, moving forward I just hope it doesn't take another 25 years for final assembly.  ;)

Ira





PS- For a more accurate and less detailed description of the aforementioned events contact my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment